What holds you back?
Our very own belief systems are built to help us navigate the world, it helps us understand what is right and what is wrong, however, sometimes our own beliefs system holds us back from greatness.
This all highlights how powerful our mind can be, a classic way of illustrating limiting belief is an image of an elephant tied to a peg, physically it is at the stage where it could break the peg if it tried but it doesn’t because it once tried when it was smaller
Where does it come from?
Limiting beliefs are learned from various of ways:-
- Past Experiences – often form to protect us these are usually based on a negative experience.
- For example, if you were cheated on in a past relationship; it is likely you will enter a new relationship with a guard to avoid being hurt again.
- Social Constructs – place upon us by society and it rules, it determines what we should and shouldn’t do.
- For example, we covered an episode on being alone and how it’s often seen as a lonely experience if you do something alone
- Parenting – some of the lessons our parents try to teach us are intended to protect us or arm us for the future
- For example, A parent fear of something could impact their child, so traveling alone could be a fear of a parent and it could potentially discourage their child
- Religion – Which have values to live by, but these can often cause a conflict.
- Friendships – The people we associate ourselves with is very important
- Ola speaks about how his friend told him how it’s impossible to buy a property and how you should give up.
So how do you overcome your limiting beliefs?
- One of the most powerful techniques is asking a question. Why do you have the belief you have? Could it change? Where did it stem from?
- Goes with questioning, understanding and looking back on times you may have given into your limiting beliefs
- Taking time out can aid you greatly, it gives you time to process and think about your actions and your behaviour
- Having the ability to identify when you are becoming a victim of your own limiting belief
- Fear List
- Writing down the fears down, take the fear down and then write solutions to overcoming those beliefs
You have the power to overcome your beliefs!
All these factors have an impact on our lives because we are a product of our environment, whether you have to unlearn the lesson taught to you by your parents, or have someone in your life who breaks the “status quo” and make certain thing seem achievable.
It’s important to remember “the one thing we can control is our actions, the one thing you can’t control is our feelings”
It’s also down to the language; have you ever heard or said “It’s not for me, I can’t do that… it’s often our limiting belief and our worry about stepping out of our comfort zone.
Tieing it back to our previous 5 part episode on the regret of the dying, it’s fascinating to see how the people close to death share similar experiences.
1. I wish I’d had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.
2. I wish I hadn’t worked so hard.
3. I wish I’d had the courage to express my feelings.
4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.
5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.
Don’t forget to follow us on our social media platforms